Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Reasons to Join LinkedIn

This morning a friend of mine asked if it would be worth his while to join LinkedIn. Although tech saavy, this particular friend has been resistant to the social media trends. He joined Facebook after it had gotten big, and reluctantly joined Twitter.
Ok FB friends, why would I want to join LinkedIn? Discuss…
I responded via his wall with a quickly written list of reasons why someone should join LinkedIn. This was a really good exercise because as someone who does have a LinkedIn account, I don't often think seriously about the reasons of why I became and stayed a member.
  1. Because it is very popular for professionals;
  2. It is like having a supersized, virtual résumé that anybody can see, especially employers looking for candidates
  3. LinkedIn is actually a little more valuable than Facebook because of its structure and rules. People connect with you for serious reasons, not just because they want the most friends, etc
  4. Your friend Jon is on LinkedIn (such a great reason I could stop here)
  5. It's free (well the freemium part)
  6. You can join discussion groups that talk seriously about professional topics;
  7. You can tie you twitter account into it so that your tweets go into your LinkedIn feed;
  8. Once you get it up and running, you don't really need to do much more. It is my least used account. LinkedIn has a mobile app, btw that makes it easier to check for updates and messages. I find that it is most valuable because I have my work history there, and LinkedIn presents that in a way that is a lot better than Facebook.
  9. I haven't really scratched the surface of what I can do on LinkedIn, myself. The articles there can be really good and there are discussions that seem insightful. Stuff comes to your email so you don't have to be in your account all the time
This leads me to a question for everyone else: What do you like the most about LinkedIn?

No comments:

Post a Comment